Heat Pump is being popularly used in houses and other places to provide solution to heating and cooling the area. It is central air-conditioner which has heating solution as well. It heats the air inside the area by collecting heat from the air that is present outside the house. Caring for heat pump is similar to that of air-conditioner with some changes that are specific to heat pump. Heat Pump troubleshooting chart can help you in smoothly and efficiently using it.
This heat pump troubleshooting chart is going to help you in analysing what problem is there and how you can tackle that. This chart can be used for air conditioner as well.
Heat Pump doesn’t Turn On
This can be due to various reasons such as:
- If the setting of thermostat is not correct. When used for heating purpose heat should be chosen and temperature needs to be higher than the room temperature. For cooling it should be set at cool, and the temperature should be lower than the room temperature. If the setting is correct and you still see some discrepancy call the technician.
- See that the breaker is switched on, check the entire connections main and sub panels. It may be required to reset the breaker.
- There could be some problem with the wiring. Check that there are no damaged wiring, if so replace them and contact the technician as soon as possible and turn off the main unit.
Heat Pump is Not Heating despite being On
Reasons due to which this can happen are:
- If Indoor coil is dirty, clean it and if necessary contact the clean-up service
- Filter has to be cleaned and checked every 30 days, if using reusable filter clean it regularly or else use disposable filter.
- Indoor fan could be the reason. The drive belt of blower could be loose and slipping, get it tightened and clean the fan.
- Leakage in suction reversing valves or discharge valves.
- Non-condensable are present in the unit, get it checked by a technician.
- Your refrigerant could be low. It happens because of leakage somewhere, get the unit checked.
Evaporator Coil has Frost On it
Reasons for this could be:
- Filter is dirty, clean it regularly or use disposable filter.
- Coil fins are bent. You can correct them using the fin comb.
- Fan problem
- If thermostat is not functioning properly then replace it.
- Coil is dirty and needs cleaning.
Liquid leaking from Unit
Reasons for this can be:
- Check the condensate hole and line and clean it if clogged.
- Drain pan is clogged, get it cleaned.
- Leakage of refrigerant, if so get the unit checked and repair the leakage.
- Piping and valves in bad condition, ensure nothing is damaged or leaking.
This heat pump troubleshooting chart is going to help you out in checking whether there is any trouble in your heat pump unit and if so can you tackle it or you would need a technician for the same.